Erectile Dysfunction: Symptoms and Causes
Although the situation of erectile dysfunction is basically a result of mental and emotional factors, yet, it also takes into account some medical dimensions as well. Medical problems also hold a crucial significance in the initiation of a man’s impotency.
To be exact, erectile dysfunction may be defined as a man’s inability to achieve a penile erection or keep hold of it for a time duration, long enough to indulge in to sexual activities. Such a situation may also be known as sexual disorder or erectile impotence.
Apart from a worsening sexual well being, erectile dysfunction has multiple devastating impacts on a man’s lifestyle, some of which include:
- Anxiety and Hypertension
- Social and mental embarrassment
- Extreme stress levels
- Problems in one’s relationship and love life
This complication of erectile dysfunction is one of the leading causes of male infertility, which is a situation in which a person, especially a man, is not able to impregnate his sexual ally.
Apart from various social and mental traumas, erectile dysfunction also leads to various other medical complications, including some of the following:
- Cardiac seizures and other heart complications
- Overweight issues
- Neurological complications or diseases
- Extreme affinity towards alcohol
- Abusive use of drugs
- Low levels of sexual hormones like testosterone
- Excessive or chain smoking
It has been seen that the complications of erectile dysfunctions tend to affect the men within the age group of 60 to 70, and it has been found out that approximately 50 percent to 60 percent of men get affected by this deadly disease in some form or the other.
It should be kept in a stern consideration that a man’s age is the most crucial factor in the inception of the symptoms of erectile dysfunction.
What are the Symptoms of Erectile Dysfunction?
It must be noted that if a man is unable to get an erection in some point of time, he must remain calm and should not worry about getting affected by erectile dysfunction. It is quite normal to have an erectile failure once in a while, due to lack of sexual appetite or sexual urge.
But, such an inability to get a penile erection will only qualify as a case of erectile dysfunction when one or more of the following symptoms occur very frequently:
- Extreme problems and difficulties in achieving a penile erection
- Sudden reduction towards sexual urge or lack of sexual desires
- Extreme problems and difficulties in keeping an erection for a duration long enough to indulge in sexual activities
What are the Causes of the Inception of Erectile Dysfunction?
It is seen that various physical, mental and emotional factors play simultaneously to help in getting an erection, and following are some of the reasons which result in the initiation of erectile dysfunction:
- Narrowing or blocking of the arteries and veins near the pelvic region
- Extremely high cholesterol levels
- High levels of blood pressure
- Overweight issues
- Chain smoking or high affinity towards cigarettes
- Presence of Parkinson’s Disease
- Any kind of substance abuse, including street drugs as well as alcoholism
- Lack of sleeping duration