Zovirax is a potent antiviral medicine. This drug helps in slowing down the growth as well as spread of herpes virus in the body. This medication is not used for the complete cure of herpes infection but, is only used to get symptomatic relief. It lessens all the symptoms caused by herpes infection.
This medication can be used for the treatment of infections caused by herpes virus like genital herpes, shingles, cold sores as well as chicken pox.
The generic name of Zovirax is acyclovir.
Indications of Valtrex (Valacyclovir)
Valtrex (Valacyclovir) is used in following conditions:
- It is used in the treatment of the initial episode of herpes genitalis.
- It is used for the acute treatment of shingles (herpes zoster) as well as chickenpox (varicella).
- It is used for suppressing the unusual frequent recurrence , about 6 or more episodes of infection per year, of herpes genitalis.
Side- effects of Valtrex (Valacyclovir)
The serious side- effects of Valtrex (Valacyclovir) include:
- Allergic reaction to Valtrex (Valacyclovir): The allergic reaction to Valtrex (Valacyclovir) can be caused if you are allergic to one or more ingredients of Valtrex (Valacyclovir). The reaction manifests as occurrence of hives or rashes, difficulty in breathing and occurrence of swelling on face, throat, tongue or lips.
- Easy bleeding or bruising
- Red or purple pinpoint spots under the skin
- Signs of kidney issues including no or little urinating, difficult or painful urination, swelling on ankles or feet, feeling tired or short breath
Common side- effects of Valtrex (Valacyclovir) include:
- Ill feeling
How to take Valtrex (Valacyclovir)?
You must take Valtrex (Valacyclovir) exactly as prescribed by your doctor. Follow all the instructions given by the doctor. Do not change the amount or the period for which the drug has to be taken.
One thing to keep in mind while taking Valtrex (Valacyclovir) is that you must drink a lot of water. Taking plenty of water ensures that your kidney is working properly.
- For initial infection of herpes genitalis: 200 mg (a 200 mg tablet or 1 teaspoon suspension) every four hours, five times a day for total one g daily for 10 days.
- For herpes zoster: 800 mg every four hours, five times a day for 7 to 10 days. Treatment should be started within seventy- two hours of the occurrence of lesions.
- For chickenpox: 20 mg per kg orally, four times a day for five days. Treatment should be started within 24 hours of the occurrence of rash.
Pregnancy and Breastfeeding
You should only take Valtrex (Valacyclovir) in pregnancy only if it is prescribed by your doctor. You must discuss all the potential benefits and risks of taking this medication with your doctor before taking the medication. The medication must be taken only if the potential benefits overweight the potential risks to the foetus.
If you are a nursing mother, you must take this drug with caution.
Well, the drug does not completely cure herpes but only relieves itching and pain. Oral Zovirax is known to decrease the frequency and severity of recurrent sores. Well, the oral version is administered for people who have severe herpes infections.
Zovirax is administered six times a day with three hours gap between each dose. It is administered for a whole week. It is always better to start the treatment once you notice the first signs like blisters, burning and tingling. When applying Zovirax, it is better to use an applicator to prevent herpes from spreading to other parts. You can use a cotton swab or wear gloves when applying the medicine. Read the label thoroughly before applying the drug. Wash the hands before and after applying the drug and avoid the cream getting in the eyes. Well, use Zovirax only as prescribed by the doctor. You should not stop until your doctor says to stop. Always keep the Lesions clean and dry.
Do not double up the dosage and apply more. If you have forgotten to apply Zovirax at a particular time and remember it soon, then you can apply it. And if it is time for the next application, then skip the earlier one.
The treatment should start at the earliest and you get better results if the treatment is started in the first 48 hours of the symptoms. Those who are allergic to propylene glycol and acyclovir should not apply Zovirax. Always follow the physician’s directions.
Zovirax (Acyclovir tablet) is a drug prescribed for treating herpes infections of the lips, skin and genitals.
The drug only gives relief from the itching and pain and does not completely cure herpes. Zovirax contains the active ingredient aciclovir, which prevents the herpes virus from growing.
The drug can be had with meals or in empty stomach. Well, take care to start the Zovirax medication soon after you see the symptoms of herpes like tingling, burning and blisters. Your doctor may also prescribe an applicator for preventing herpes from spreading to other parts.
Always stick to your prescription. It is better not to miss any dose. Never discontinue the drug without consulting your doctor. Moreover, you have to inform the physician about all your allergic reactions and also about your health problems before he prescribes Zovirax. The drug is also prescribed for pregnant women and also breast-feeding women. But before using the drug, it is better to talk about all the risks and benefits of the medicine with the doctor.
As Zovirax is known to interact with certain drugs, you have to tell your doctor about all the medications, including the prescription and non-prescription medicines, that you are using.
When you are on Zovirax medication, you have to be cautious of the allergic reactions and the side effects that come with the drug. If you experience any problems like pain in the lower back, easy bruising, nausea, vomiting, appetite loss, diarrhea, stomach pain and swelling in hands or feet, you should have to stop the drug and contact the doctor.