Premarin (Conjugated Estrogens)
Premarin is a drug that comes in the form of tablets containing conjugated estrogens which are a mixture of estrogens derived from the natural sources.
Estorgen is basically a female sex hormone that is secreted by the ovaries. This hormone is very necessary for various processes of the body.
Indications of Premarin
Premarin is used in:
- Treatment of symptoms of menopause like vaginal dryness, irritation and burning, and hot flashes
- Prevention of occurrence of osteoporosis in women after they attain menopause
- It helps in replacing estrogen in the women who suffer from ovarian failure or any other condition that leads to the lack of optimum quantity of estrogen in body.
- Sometimes this drug is also used as a part of the treatment of cancer in men as well as in women.
Side- effects of Premarin
The serious side- effects of permarin include:
- Lump in the breast
- Abnormal vaginal bleeding
- Problem in concentration or memory
- Liver issues like upper stomach pain, nausea, itching, loss of appetite, feeling tired, clay- colored stool, dark urine, yellowing of eyes or skin (jaundice)
- Symptoms of heart attack like pressure or pain in chest, pain spreading to shoulder or jaw, sweating, nausea
- Signs of stroke including sudden weakness or numbness, slurred speech, sudden severe headache, problem with balance or vision
- Signs of blood clot in lung causing chest pain, rapid breathing, wheezing, sudden cough, coughing up blood
- Signs of blood clot in leg causing pain, swelling, redness or warmth in one or in both the legs
- Allergic reaction to premarin manifesting as hives or rashes, swelling in throat, lips, tongue or head and difficulty in breathing
Common side- effects of premarin include:
- Pain or tenderness in brain
- Swelling in hands or feet
- Hair loss
- Vaginal discharge or itching
- Light vaginal bleeding/ spotting
- Changes in menstrual periods
- Stomach cramps
How to take premarin?
Take premarin exactly the way your doctor advised you to take. Follow all the instructions of your doctor. Do not change the dose into smaller or larger than prescribed dose. Take the medication for the recommended duration of time.
Pregnancy and Breastfeeding
Premarin is not recommended for use if you are pregnant. If you are taking this medication, you must use effective measures for birth control. If you are already pregnant or get pregnant during the course of taking this medication, you must consult your doctor immediately. Also, tell your doctor beforehand if you plan to get pregnant during the course of the treatment with this drug.
Premarin is known to pass into the breast milk. It might cause unwanted side- effects in the nursing baby and so it is recommended to stay away from breast feeding when you take the medicine or to stay away from this medicine if you are a lactating mother. Also, this drug is known to slow down the breast milk production.
Premarin is effective in treating advanced breast cancer and also in preventing and treating a variety of menopause symptoms like hot flashes, dryness, vaginal itching and burning. Premarin is also used for treating advanced prostate cancer in men.
You have to take Premarin at the same time every day with meal.
Nothing to worry about the missed dosage. If you happen to remember it, take it. Well, if it is time for the next dosage, skip the old dosage. Never take a double dosage.
Premarin drug can cause dizziness and the effect can be worse if taken with alcohol or some other medicines.