Doxycycline is an antibiotic drug that is used for the treatment of bacterial infections. It is classified as tetracycline antibiotic. It fights the bacteria in the body.
It is also known as Vibramycin.
Indications of Doxycycline (Vibramycin)
Doxycycline (Vibramycin) is an antibiotic drug that fights bacterial infection. It is used in the treatment of:
- Acne, bumps, blemishes and acne- like lesions caused due to rosacea. But, it doesn’t treat the redness on face caused due to rosacea.
- Intestinal infections
- Urinary Tract Infection
- Eye Infections
- Gum Disease (periodontitis)
- Some forms of doxycycline (vibramycin) is used for prevention of malaria
- It is also used to treat anthrax
- Infections caused due to lice, ticks as well as mites
Side- effects of Doxycycline (Vibramycin)
The side- effects of doxycycline (vibramycin) can be serious side- effects and common side- effects.
The serious side-effects of doxycycline (vibramycin) include:
- Allergic reaction to doxycycline (vibramycin) leading to symptoms like hives, swelling on face, throat, tongue or lips
- Severe pain in stomach
- Watery or bloody diarrhea
- Changes in vision
- Fever, body ache, swollen glands, weakness, symptoms of flu
- Pain in chest, irregular heart rhythm, short breath
- Pain in upper stomach, loss of appetite, yellowing of eye or skin, dark- colored urine
- Skin rashes, easy bruising or bleeding, pale skin, severe numbness or tingling, muscle weakness, pain
- Nausea, vomiting, confusion, swelling, little or no urinating, rapid weight gain
- New or worsening cough associated with fever, trouble in breathing
- Elevated pressure inside skull causing severe headache, dizziness, ringing in ears, nausea, pain behind eyes, vision problems
- Severe skin reaction leading to fever, swelling on tongue and face, sore throat, burning in eyes, pain in skin followed by occurrence of purple or red skin rashes spreading on face and upper body leading to blistering and peeling
The common side- effects of doxycycline (vibramycin) include:
- Mild diarrhea
- Upset stomach
- Skin rashes or itching
- Vaginal discharge or itching
How to use vibramycin (doxycycline)?
Vibramycin (doxycycline) must be taken exactly as prescribed by the doctor. You must take the dose in exact amount and for exact duration of time as recommended.
Take the medication with full glass of water. It is important to drink a lot of liquid while you are on vibramycin (doxycycline). If the medication leads to upset stomach, you can take it with milk or food. You must read the instructions given with the medication.
Pregnancy and Breastfeeding
The drug can be safely taken during the first eighteen weeks of pregnancy (sixteen weeks post conception). But, the drug must not be taken in the 2nd and the 3rd trimester of pregnancy.
You must tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant during the course of treatment with vibramycin (doxycycline).
Vibramycin (doxycycline) must not be taken by you if you are a lactating mother. It might cause staining of enamel of the infants.
Doxycycline is used to treat many types of bacterial infections. It is also an effective treatment for anthrax inhalation.
Doxycycline is to be taken as prescribed by a doctor. For best results take Doxycycline at the same time every day. Do not stop taking Doxycycline when you feel better. The complete course, as prescribed, must be completed.
If a dose is missed, it can be taken as soon as you remember, as long as it does not clash with the next scheduled dose. In this case, rather skip the missed dose. Never take a double dose.
If symptoms persist, or get worse, contact your doctor immediately. Doxycycline should only be taken by the person for whom it was prescribed. Do not increase or decrease the dosage without first consulting a doctor.