Cleocin is an antibiotic drug that is used in the treatment of various infections caused by bacteria in the body. The generic name of Cleocin is clindamycin.
Indications of Cleocin (Clindamycin)
Cleocin (Clindamycin) is used in:
- Treatment of respiratory tract infections like lung abscess, anaerobic pneumonitis and empyema
- Treatment of serious skin as well as soft tissue infection caused by anaerobes, streptococci, staphylococci
- Intra- abdominal infection like intra- abdominal abscess and peritonitis
- Infection of female genital tract and pelvis like postsurgical vaginal cuff infection, pelvic cellulitis, nongonococcal tubo-ovarian abscess, and endometritis
- Serious respiratory tract infection like lung abscess, anaerobic pneumonitis and empyema caused by anaerobes, streptococci, staphylococci, and pneumococci.
Side- effects of Cleocin (Clindamycin)
The side- effects of Cleocin (Clindamycin) can be classified as serious side- effects and common side- effects.
The serious side- effects of Cleocin (Clindamycin) include:
- Allergic reaction
Allergic reaction to Cleocin (Clindamycin) is an emergency condition that needs strict medical attention. The reaction manifests as an occurrence of hives or rashes, difficult breathing and swelling on lips, throat, tongue and face.
In some rare cases, Cleocin (Clindamycin) can cause a reaction affecting other parts of the body. The reaction starts after taking the medication of several weeks. You must see your doctor immediately if you experience these new symptoms or worsening symptoms like fever, red or blistering rash on skin, facial swelling, flu symptoms, feeling tired or weak, swollen glands, severe numbness or tingling, loss of appetite, pain in upper stomach, yellowing of eyes or skin (jaundice), loss of appetite, burning or pain on urination, weight loss, pain in lower back, swelling in feet or legs, pain in chest, coughing and trouble in breathing.
- Diarrhea caused by Cleocin (Clindamycin) can lead to serious side- effects. It can cause life threatening intestinal issue. If you have watery or bloody diarrhea, you must stop taking Cleocin (Clindamycin) and talk to your doctor.
- Changes in bowel habits
- Little or no urination at all
- Severe pain in stomach
- A metallic taste in mouth. It is particular with clindamycin injection.
- Severe skin reaction causing symptoms like fever, swelling in tongue or face, sore throat, burning sensation in eyes, pain in skin, followed by occurrence of purple or red rashes spreading to upper body and leading to blistering and peeling
- Signs of inflammation causing swollen glands, easy bruising or bleeding, symptoms of flu, severe numbness or tingling, muscle weakness, pain in upper stomach, yellowing of eyes or skin (jaundice), pain in chest, new or worsening cough along with fever and trouble in breathing
The common side- effects of Cleocin (Clindamycin) include:
- Stomach pain
- Vaginal discharge or itching
- Mild skin rash
How to take Cleocin (Clindamycin)?
Take Cleocin (Clindamycin) as advised by your doctor. Do not change the amount of the dose or the duration for which the dose has to be taken. Take it with a glass of water to avoid irritation of throat.
Pregnancy and Breastfeeding
Do not take this drug in the first trimester of pregnancy. Also, do not use it if you are a nursing mother.
Cleocin is used to treat serious bacterial infections. It is also prescribed to treat diseases like malaria. Cleocin is also used as an effective treatment for acne.
Cleocin should be taken with water as directed by a doctor. It is not necessary to take Cleocin with food. For best results, take Cleocin at the same time every day. Do not stop taking Cleocin even if you feel better. It is important to complete the full course as prescribed.
If a dose is missed, it can be taken as soon as you remember, as long as it does not clash with the next scheduled dose. In this case, rather skip the missed dose. Never take a double dose.
If symptoms do not start improving, or if they worsen, after taking Cleocin for a few days, contact a doctor immediately. Cleocin is to only be taken by the patient for whom it was prescribed. Never increase or decrease the dosage without consulting the doctor who prescribed it.
Are you having bacterial infection? - Use Cleocin
Cleocin also have a second name as CLINDAMYCIN which is mainly used for the treatment of the bacterial infection on a wide range. Basically this medicine is work as an anti bacterial drug which stops the production of the bacteria with great effectiveness. There is a big difference between the virus infection and bacterial infection that is why this medicine is just helpful in the bacterial infection but not in the virus infection (as cold and flu infection). High use of this drug without any need or misuse may lead to the big problem and can reduce the effectiveness of the medicine so patient need to be very careful in use of any kind of the medicine. It is valuable in many of the other circumstances which may be not given in to the drug prescription but many of the doctors prescribed it for other uses. These uses may depend upon the patient condition that is why it is not recommended to use the medicine for the similar purpose without the doctor advice. In installation of the heart valves, cleocin is a good choice because it helps to cure the valve from any sort of bacterial infection of heart. Take this medicine in every 6 hour of the day as counted four times in a day and do not lay down within 10 minutes after taking this medicine. Equal intervals of time is mandatory for the better results because anti biotic remains effective when they attain equal level inside the body so tried to use this medicine accordingly. Keep using at the end of the infection but more better is to keep using it after some time at the end of the infection. Some of the side effects like diarrhea, nausea and vomiting may be happen with the use of this drug. So patient has not to worry but must concern to the doctor about it.