Natural Treatment Options For Breast Infection - Mastitis
Mastitis is the breast tissue infection which most usually affects the breastfeeding women. Often it takes place during the 1st three months after the child delivery; however, it can occur anytime during the period of breastfeeding. Usually, only one breast is affected by lactation mastitis not both.
It is caused because of a milk duct which is blocked which leads to some milk remaining in the breast which eventually results in an infection. One more breast infection cause is the entry of the bacteria in the breast through a crack or break in the nipple.
If you experience mastitis, then it is essential that you continue breastfeeding your child. It doesn’t cause any risk to your child.
Some of the homemade remedies for the treatment of breast infection are as follows.
While experiencing mastitis, the affected breast must be massaged. This will aid in the unblocking of the plugged milk ducts and thus the swelling will be relieved. Massage always the outer breast through the nipples in little circles; apply more pressure over the influenced region.
- Make massage oil by blending equal mixtures of wheat germ oil and apricot. Use this to massage the breast in upward strokes. Repeat this sometimes every day.
- One more option is to blend some camphor oil drops in 2 spoons of olive oil and utilize it for massaging the breasts few times in a day.
2. Hot & cold compresses
Both warm & cold compresses are beneficial in the mastitis treatment.
- Prepare a warm compress by wrapping a hot water pack in a thin piece of cloth.
- Prepare an ice pack by wrapping some ice cubes in a thin piece of cloth.
- Now keep this hot compress on the affected breast for nearly 15 minutes.
- Now, apply the ice pack for 5 minutes.
- This cycle has to be repeated 2-3 times.
- This remedy has to be repeated whenever needed.
3. Cabbage leaves
This is a soothing home remedy for infected or inflamed breasts.
- Chill some cabbage leaves in the fridge for about 30 minutes.
- Place the cold leaf on the inflamed breast.
- When the leaf comes to normal temperature, keep the new cold leaf.
- Repeat this few times every day till you get relieved from the infection.
- Consume 2 raw garlic cloves in a clean and empty stomach.
- Also you can eat few more cloves in the day.
- You can have it with plain water or orange juice in case you hate garlic.
- Do this every day for a week.
This herb Echinacea boosts the immune system so that it helps the body to fight against the infections.
- Apply Echinacea root tincture on the infected region 4-5 times daily.
- Clean the region properly with lukewarm water before breastfeeding.
- Also you can add3-4 drops of the tincture in a glass full of water. Consume it 3-4 times in a day for less than a week.