Acidity in Men
Acidity in men is caused when there is an increased production of acid in the gastric glands of the stomach. Acidity can result in symptoms like heartburn, gastric inflammation, dyspepsia and even ulcers inside the stomach. The occurrence of acidity is higher in countries where the people consume non-vegetarian, spicy and oily foods.
Several factors lead to development of acidity like stress, bad diets, reduced physical activity, irregular eating pattern, etc. Smoking and consumption of alcohol, which is higher in men also leads to acidity. Even medications like non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, like NSAIDs tend to cause gastric acidity in men.
Acidity causes men to feel a burning sensation in their throat right after the consumption of a meal. Sour belching, indigestion, constipation is also common in men suffering from acidity.
When the production of natural bicarbonate and prostaglandins are interrupted, the gastric juices that help in digestion, damage the stomach lining which causes acidity. Some of the causes that trigger this process are:
• Smoking and alcohol consumption
• Consuming non-vegetarian and spicy foods
• Higher intake of table salt
• Reduced physical exercise
• Stomach diseases such as gastroesophageal reflux disease, peptic ulcers, stomach tumours, etc.
• Medications such as non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs.
The various signs and symptoms for acidity include:
• Burning sensation in the throat
• Burning sensation in the stomach
• Dry, persistent cough
• Asthma and recurrent pneumonia
• Sour taste
• Pain or difficulty while swallowing food
• Dental erosion
• Pain in the chest and upper abdominal area
Acidity can be treated by the help of antacids. Antacids help in providing rapid but short-term aid. They contain either calcium or aluminium or magnesium containing compounds which help in neutralizing the excess gastric acid produced, thus providing relief from acidity. However, their flaw is, they don’t act on the cells that produce acids or the stomach lining.
Other prescriptions provided by physicians include:
Histamine blocking agents (H2 receptor blockers): Products like cimetidine, famotidine, ranitidine etc.
Proton pump inhibitors: Products likelansoprazole and omeprazole.
In rare cases, even surgery (vagotomy) is suggested in the efforts to combat acidity. Even yoga is a solution which can be practiced to get a relief from acidity.
Apart from the treatments suggested, home remedies are also quite useful in case of acidity in men. These are natural and have no side-effects. The list of 10 home remedies which actually work are as follows:
• Cold milk
• Saunf or aniseed
• Mint leaves or pudina
Prevention is always better than cure. Hence, if few things are kept in mind, the occurrence of acidity can be reduced to the minimum. The following methods, if followed regularly, can help in the reduction of acidity.
• Consumption of more fruits and vegetables
• Reduction in the intake of spicy foods
• Eating small and regular meals. Irregular meals cause higher chances of acid reflux which happens mostly in working males.
• Chewing cloves, saunf, tulsi leaves etc.
• Avoiding medications such as NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) and even steroids
• Reduction or management of stress
• Avoiding consumption of water in between meals
Thus, it can be seen that making changes to the lifestyle and changing food habits can greatly help reduce acidity.